Sennheiser RS 220 Wire Mod

There's some days where I love just zoning out and listening to music so much that my wireless headphones can't keep up. So what do you do? I guess a normal person would just buy wired headphones but I got these great Sennheisers and I wanted to experience them on the wire too. Suppose the wireless radio dies on either the base station or the headphones? Suppose the headphone amp dies? Suppose the base station dies? The headphones are too expensive to just throw away if those ever become an issue, at least for me, so I decided to wire them up.

It was pretty easy, the longest part was waiting for the Gorilla Glue to dry. That was needed because I had to desolder a female 3.5mm phone jack from an old FM receiver I had and glue it to the interior casing. RIP old pal. Remember back in the day when you were poor and couldn't afford a car that was new enough to come with a CD player? That's still my case :(. But anyway, you'd do the next best thing, buy an FM transmitter that would plug into your CD player and transmit to your car radio on a certain channel within the vicinity of roughly ten feet. Either that or use the tape devices, like this. None of which had very good sound quality.

But moving on, as I say, it's an easy mod. All that's physically required are:

1) Soldering pencil w/ medium or fine tip
2) ~26 gauge wire
3) Female 3.5mm audio jack (PCB mount)
4) ~3/16" drill bit
5) Small phillips screwdriver for headphone casing
5) 3.5mm male to male cable
6) Gorilla Glue to glue audio jack to interior headphone casing. Super glue may work also.
6) Hot glue, (optional for securing soldered wires)

If you're like me, you probably have these parts laying around. As long as you have a slight bit of experience with soldering, you should be just fine. And if you haven't, practice on a few old parts first. Here's the final product:






Comments

Popular Posts