Let's Play A Game

We'll call it, What Other Crap Can I Stick A Fan On. I did the same with a receiver and after having to reflow a joint in the PS2, I decided to add a fan to it because why not? Well, actually I had to because I think I blew a surface mount fuse for the fan when I reassembled the PS2 and turned it on. Rather than try to replace the fuse which I didn't have and would be just as much trouble to replace, I thought I'd add my own and use an external power source to power it such as an adapter.

I uploaded this image because it looks better from this angle. You won't see the fan offset from the slightly imperfect hole I had to manually cut out since I couldn't find an appropriate hole saw bit for it. I let it be known that I tend to go for function over form in most cases.

I've used a lot of my spare time this week repairing as much non-working electronics as I could that I had laying around so I could throw away, give away or use what I could in order to do a some spring cleaning. I've made a good bit of headway and learned more lately about electronics repair than I have in years. Anyway, here she is, the first console my son ever played and one of my favorites that so happened to arrive at the time where my lust for gaming started to dwindle:


The PS2 was an awesome console for its time. With a modded one, you could play VCDs (remember those?), load games from the hard drive, play emulators, MP3 CDs, and other things, depending on the chip. Though installation wasn't for the faint of heart. The PS2 was comparatively harder to mod than the Xbox. My first chip was the Neo 2.2. It could play backups of all originals but DVD-based and EA games and looked like this. Not very elaborate and rather easy to install but not knowing much about electronics then, I didn't dare attempt it. Later I acquired a DMS3 which, if you take a look at this pic, was no easy task to install for an amateur. The first time I attempted it, I fried my first PS2 and it wasn't nearly as neat as what you see in the pic.

It's been a good, reliable console so far though it's never played anymore since I bought my son a 360. When he finally decided to fire it up for the first time in at least a year, I thought it was finally toast when it wouldn't start. But no, a quick fix and fan mod, and it seems good as new after cleaning the laser and internals. I miss being able to play games and absorbing myself in another world and task for a few hours. I don't know if I've just lost a lot of my imagination and humor (that I know I've lost a lot of) but I just can't get into them like I used to. Like when I'm watching a scifi movie, I can't find the ability to suspend my disbelief for too long and I'm always questioning the science. I'm too old and too critical, I'm afraid. I envy people that can just relax and go with the flow. As much as I want to zone out of this seemingly cruel world at times, it's hard to do anymore.

One of my previous blog posts, I mentioned I sort of respected the "liars" in life. That's easy to be misinterpreted, especially for someone younger reading this, but I essentially mean I respect the ability to focus on the good things in life and less on the bad, despite it being a truth of reality. Of course, we all have varying degrees of this that we use to cope with the troubles in life and some of us are better at it than others. But I've come to realize and enjoy that real life has just as many mysteries and curious phenomena as we can imagine in an artificial world. I used to be very introverted when younger and tended to turn to my imagination for curiosities in some ways. That included videogames, books, and all manner of scifi and fiction. But over time I've realized there's enough here to keep the imagination busy and the mind satiated. There's still, of course, times where the anxiety is too much and wish I could just absorb myself in another distracting and fun task like I could when younger. I suppose I still somewhat can but maybe it's just me, I've seemed to have lost the ability to relax when awake like I used to. But I digress, I'll just go off into depressive subject matter if I keep speaking on that topic. I should learn to stay on topic but I think that leads to more dull, impersonal and homogeneous writing that's more fit for topical sites.

Comments

Popular Posts